For Public Meetings on POS Expenditures for Feb/March in 2023, please to to this page-> PUBLIC MEETING NOTICES
Purchase of Services Expenditure Data by Diagnosis, Ethnicity, Language, Residence and Age
“The department (Department of Developmental Services) and the regional centers shall annually collaborate to compile data relating to purchase of service authorization, utilization, and expenditure by each regional center with respect to a person served’s age, ethnicity, primary language, disability.” California Welfare and Institutions Code § 4519.5 and 4519.6
In compliance with state law, the Regional Center of the East Bay has posted data related to purchase of service (POS) authorization, utilization, and expenditure information for public review.
Any updates or changes will be posted below. An introductory summary of limitations related to this data. Public meetings are held to annually share the data with and solicit feedback from our community stakeholders. Information regarding public meetings will be posted on our Events Calendar with at least a 30-day notice.
Regional Center Purchase of Services (POS) Data: Limitations on POS Expenditure Data
Purchase of Service Costs
The Purchase of Service (POS) data displayed represents the cost of services that clients received that are paid for by the regional center. This POS expenditure data does not include the cost of services clients receive that are paid for by Supplemental Security Income, Medi-Cal, the school system, and other generic agencies.
The POS expenditure data represents expenditures the regional center made for services clients received during the Fiscal Year (FY) reflected based on regional center POS state claim data that was provided to DDS. The regional center may still make payments for services provided to clients during FY 2017-18 up until June 2020.
The total number of clients who received services during the fiscal year will be greater than the regional center’s actual caseload. A client is included in the data if the client received a regional center funded service at any time during the fiscal year. A client who received a single service once during the year is counted the same as a client who received ongoing monthly services. The client is also counted regardless of their current status with the regional center. The data may include clients whose current status is closed, transferred-out, in-active, etc. if the Client received regional center services during FY 2017-18.
Contract Purchase of Service Expenditures
Due to the limitations of the regional center uniform fiscal system (UFS), POS expenditure data may not include payments made by the regional center that are paid to a service provider under a “contract”. Currently, UFS is unable to allocate expenditures paid to a service provider under a “contract” to clients utilizing the “contract” service. Therefore, POS expenditures paid under a “contract” are excluded from the POS data. Typical services paid to a service provider under a “contract” may include, but are not limited to, transportation services and supported employment program (SEP) group services. Therefore, the total amount of POS expenditures reported will not reconcile with the regional center’s actual POS expenditures for FY 2017-18.
Services that are authorized “encumber” the funds needed to pay for those services. The regional center’s computer system (UFS) gives the regional center options regarding the “maintenance” of its encumbrances. When encumbrances are routinely adjusted for non-utilization, there will be a higher utilization percentage. When encumbrances are routinely adjusted for non-utilization, there will be a higher utilization percentage. When encumbrances are not routinely adjusted for non-utilizations, there
will be a lower utilization rate.
Clients with Multiple Diagnoses
There are many clients who have more than one diagnosis. In the summary reports for Purchase of Service Expenditures by Diagnosis and Consumers with No Purchase of Service by Diagnosis these consumers will be counted in every category for which they have a diagnosis. As an example, a client with a diagnosis of both autism and epilepsy will be counted in both the “Autism” and “Epilepsy” categories. Therefore, the sum of the clients reported in all the categories will be more than the total number of clients served by the regional center.
Category 5 Clients
Clients listed in Category 5, according to Welfare and Institutions Code section 4512, are individuals who have “disabling conditions found to be closely related to intellectual disability or to require treatment similar to that required for individuals with intellectual disability, but shall not include other handicapping conditions that are solely physical in nature.”
The expenditure and demographic data is organized into the following sections:
- Total Annual Expenditures and Authorized Services
- Clients with No Purchase of Service
- Total Annual Insurance-Related Expenditures
- Total Annual Expenditures By Ethnicity and Residence Type
- Total Annual Expenditures By Language and Residence Type
- Total Annual expenditures For Clients Living at Home or Out of Home By Ethnicity
Purchase of Service Reports by Fiscal Year
- FY 2021-2022
- FY 2020-2021
- DDS’ 1/20/2023 Affirmation Letter Changes in service delivery and billing in response to the COVID-19 pandemic may have affected individuals and communities differently. Care should be taken in comparing FY 20/21 data to data for previous years. In response to the pandemic and varied individual needs and circumstances, billing for some services changed to a monthly rate instead of hourly or daily rates. As a result, this may have reduced differences among individuals in service authorizations, expenditures, and utilization.
- FY 2019-2020
- FY 2018-2019
- FY 2017-2018
- FY 2016-2017
- FY 2015-2016
- FY 2014-2015
- FY 2013-2014
- FY 2012-2013
- FY 2011-2012
Purchase of Service Public Presentations by Fiscal Year
- Powerpoint Presentation for F/Y 2020-2021
- Powerpoint Presentation for F/Y 2020-2021 – Spanish
- Powerpoint Presentation for F/Y 2019-20
- PowerPoint Presentation for F/Y 2019-20 – Spanish
- PowerPoint Presentation for F/Y 2019-20 – Chinese
- PowerPoint Presentation for F/Y 2018-2019
- PowerPoint Presentation for F/Y 2018-2019 – Spanish
- PowerPoint Presentation for F/Y 2017-2018
- PowerPoint Presentation for F/Y 2017-2018 – Spanish
- PowerPoint Presentation for F/Y 2016-2017
- PowerPoint Presentation for F/Y 2016-2017 – Spanish
- PowerPoint Presentation for F/Y 2014-2015
- PowerPoint Presentation for F/Y 2013-2014
Report on the implementation of the requirements of California Welfare and Institutions Code Section 4519.5(f)(1)